Friday, January 14, 2011

Quick Blog 4

Quick Blog 4

Willow Smiths video “Whip My Hair” was very confusing and somewhat disturbing to me. I have heard the song on the radio before but I always thought it was an older woman in at least her 20’s singing it; not a little girl! I don’t think that this would be a great role model for young girls because Willow Smith is so young yet she is wearing diamonds on her lips in the video and belly shirts at some points. She whips her hair in a provocative manner and sprays paint on the people around her almost as if she is somehow putting her personal touch on them. The way that she dances and whips her hair may be considered sexual but she is just so young it is hard to even think of it in that way for me.  I look forward to hearing other peoples posts because I still find this video confusing and I am shocked this is a young girl singing!

1 comment:

  1. As much as I agree that "whipping hair" is considered sexual, this is an idea we very much have developed a meaning for, because, in all reality, how is hair whippage actually involved in sex?

    On that note, I do remember my first time hearing this song. I was shown the video and told how old she was. I was shocked, yet at the same time not surprised. Although it is disturbing that a girl of such a young age is setting an example for girls world-wide, I feel as though girls already look up to older-willow versions as it is.

    ReplyDelete