Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Ageism

According to Robert Butler ageism is defined as "A process of systematic stereotyping of and discrimination against people because they are old." (534) I think the cause of ageism is because in todays fast paced society the younger generations do everything on the go and in a fast manner. Older people tend to be slower in instances such as driving and paying for thing. In the movie "Once We were Young" an older woman takes her time at a grocery market, walking down the street and paying for a bus ticket and many of the younger people waiting are annoyed. This is once of the reasons for ageism. I think in some cases I am ageist. It can be really frusterating when I am driving behind someone who is elderly and they are going way below the speed limit. The book condsiders "youth as criminals" (533) but I would not consider myself a criminal in this case.
   I think ageism is seldom talked about because it is something that nearly all people deal with. In the video "Once We Were Young" it said that in fifteen years over 1/3 of the worlds population will be over the age of fifty. That is 3.5 million people. Since there are so many people dealing with ageism and such a large "support system" it is rarely a subject to be talked about. I think it is great that there are so many opportunities and places for the elderly to be able to continue to have something to live to and have help in their daily lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment