Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Quick Blog 3

     Throughout my life I have always been middle class but felt privileged. I was taught to work hard but I was also given a lot by my parents. I first learned about privilege on vacation I took with my family when I was about ten years old. At the airport our flight was boarding and I was so excited I wanted to run ahead in line; however only first class was allowed to board. My mother explained to me they paid more for tickets so they got to go on the plane first. This was when I learned everything comes at a cost and the more you pay the more you get. A more recent time in my life that I have felt at an advantage is when I entered college. My parents agreed to pay for my four years of college and after that I am on my own. My roommate was not as fortunate and had to pay for college herself. Seeing how she was working throughout the week and doing schoolwork I felt privileged to be able to enjoy my college experience without having to worry about money.
      Having money does not always have benefits. I have been called a "brat" and "snob" for a absolutely no reason in the past. I am middle class and have been given everything that I need from my family. If there is something that I want such as a new purse or outfit I work for the money to get it. I do not think that other should judge or call me a "brat" for working hard for something I want. I felt oppressed and like I was an outsider by my group of friends.
      The first and only experience when I have consciously witnessed someone being oppressed happened last year. When I was looking for a car we went to dealer that had both used and new cars for sale. When my family walked in we had come right from dinner so we were fairly dressed up. The dealer did not ask what we were looking for an immediately brought us to the new cars. After looking we were on our way out and I saw another young couple walk in. They looked like they were just married and young. The dealer brought them right away to the used cars; once again without asking what they were looking for. It was just like the scene in the store in Pretty Woman. Unfortunately I reacted more upset to Julia Roberts in the movie then I did to the car customers. I was completely shocked but thought it was not my place to say anything even though it was clear the dealer just wanted to make the sales and rated the young couple low class.

No comments:

Post a Comment