Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Question H: Christian Privilege

I have been a devote Christian since my baptism as a child. Growing up I choose to be a Peer Minister and you leader. I helped my local church and went to church with my mother every Saturday. I have not been as decoted in College but still consider myself a strong Christian. I have never once in my life considered myself privileged for being Christian because this is my choice and other people can also chose their religion.

According to Sclosser,  there is a lost of over 18 priveleges that Christians are entitled to. However I dont believe these are entitled to only Christians. For example, "I can have abumper sticker with "jesus is lord" on the back and not get vandalized.." (246) I have seen those vandalized on numerous cars. Also, many of Schlossers priveleges say that a Christian can do something without their religion being a reason for it. For example "I can be successful without having people attribute that to the greed of my religious group" or "I can do well in a challenging situation without being singled out as different from other members of my religious group." (246) Anyone who does judge other people in the various situations Schlosser mentions does so out of their personal rude personality and it has nothing to do with religion.

     Blumenfield speaks of Exploitation and marginalization. He mentions that "students who are hindu, muslim Sikh, Jewish, and of other faiths see few if any, who adhere to their cultural expressions in the classroom." Seeing as different religions are prominant in different nations this makes sense to me. Christians who want their children to learn about their religion send their children to Private schools for that purpose. Any other religions have the same right to do so. Public Schools are banned from even mentioning religion in the school so there is no reason for minority religions to complain. If you want your child to leanr about their relgion send them to a private school, after school lessons, or home school them.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, I believe the reason for being Christian as also being a privilege is that overall people accept Christians more than any other religion. It is almost as if people who are of other religions are afraid to worship their religion because if they are not Christian, which is widely accepted, they are harrassed with little comments/snickers or given dirty looks. I notice that the religious intolerance in this country is very subtle sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also grew up Christian, but didn't feel many privileges based upon my religious affiliations either. But I can't help but wonder if that is because they always complied with 'christian privilege' and it was easy to overlook. I agree that religion is a choice, and that nobody should be judged in regards to their religious beliefs, nor should have the right to judge another religion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I wrote in my blog, I did not feel privileges either but they are still there. I agree that it could be because we are part of the privileged group that we do not see it. I know where you are coming from but people who don't believe in Christianity have to hear "Merry Christmas" throughout the Christmas season. It is something we have never dealt with so can we actually feel that privilege? It makes me think of how poor white people do not feel privileged but they still have it. I think the two are comparable on some levels. I think privilege is way more obvious for those who don't have it than for the ones who do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As an Atheist, I get so tried of hearing "Merry Christmas" and the assumption that I celebrate that holiday. On a plane once when we landed, the flight attendant actually said: "May God Bless You" over the intercom to the whole plane! These are but two small examples. Remember, privilege is invisible to those who have it. If the privileges are pointed out to you and you choose to still deny them, then that is your right, but that does not change the fact that they are real and that they elevate Christians to the detriment of other religions. as Johnson pointed out, people with privilege often engage in denial and minimization strategies to lessen the reality of their privilege and the oppression that targeted groups face in this society.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked all of your examples!
    I also had not thought about the rule in public schools that they are not allowed to even talk about religion. Thats very interesting to me because I have been in public school all my childhood, and in class we would make crafts and sing song thats had religious affiliations (mostly Christian ones). If schools are going to incorporate any religious activity they should include aspects from all differing ones.

    ReplyDelete