Monday, January 10, 2011

Post # 6- Response to Question F

Defining Racism
“Can We Talk?” –Beverly Daniel Tatum

There is no doubt in my mind that the way a person is raised and grows up is a key factor in their future beliefs. Beverly Tatum mentions in her article “Can We Talk” that social segregation does indeed start from childhood. I know that I grew up in a neighborhood with all white families, went to a high school with a large majority of white students and teachers and I now attend UNH which is a majority white. I have to admit that the social situations I have been in and the way my family raised me taught me not to be racist yet it did not teach me anything about any other race. A majority of people, including myself, agree and can relate to Beverly Tatum in the fact that everything I have ever learned about other races has been secondhand information which means all I know are the cultural stereotypes.
                Although I agree with Beverly on the issue of stereotypes and distortion leading to prejudice, I do not agree with some of her other ideas. Beverly mentioned that “all whites benefit from racism, but not equally.” I am guessing she means white men benefit more than white women and various other categories but overall whites ALWAYS benefit. I have to disagree with her in this situation. I think to myself of multiple things that able-bodied people of any color can do that the disabled are held back by. I know that able-bodied black men and women benefit from getting a job, transportation  or even having children more than white disabled people. In this case and many others like it All whites do not benefit from racism. I find it very problematic that so many people think of the word privilege and automatically think of race. Privilege can be on many levels according to Beverly and it is not always about race. I also found it problematic when she mentioned “Why would white people want to stop being privileged?” IF everyone thought like this there would be no hope for the future of racial equality.

3 comments:

  1. You brought a good point when mentioning the able-bodied people of color having more opportunities than disable white people. Not all whites are privileged. They are privileged by color, but not by other things like sex, believes, etc. A question for you: you said that throughout your live you have not learned first hand what the lives of people of color are, so what would you do to change that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what you said about the growing up around mostly whites but not being taught to be be racist, however, I believe that all whites are privileged. Color is the first thing we see. I don't think it is fair to compare privileges and judge which one is worse. That is counter productive to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eed24, Thanks for the post. I think the first thing I am going to do to learn about other races is taking classes such as this one. I want to, and am curious, about opening my eyes to the lives of others.

    Lynette,
    I agree color is the first thing we see but I just believe that one form of privilege should not be more poweful than another.

    ReplyDelete